Thursday 31 January 2013

NAKED TRIBUTE: REVIEW: URBAN DECAY NAKED BASICS PALETTE

Yes. I am guilty. I caved. (NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, self-bashing myself but smiling like a silly fool at the same time -.-) Soooooo....in my past review, I mentioned how I couldnt justify the purchase of UD's recent baby, NAKED BASICS, saying that I could live without it. (Well technically we can live without makeup, #justsaying) Yet, I couldnt get it out of my head. Day in, day out it were two things floating in my makeup compartment in my brain. NAKED BASICSSSSS NAKED BASICSSSSSSS haunting me like some crazy spirit. (along with another sweet lil treat which I will mention later hehe) After reading and rereadings reviews, staring at the colours for a very very veryyyyy long one week, I caved. (greattttt -,- *facepalm*) I headed down to my second home, Sephora and went to see it again in person, since I was heading there to get MAC Candy Yum Yum (which Im soooo excited about and there were only two left when I got there. 0.0) Swatched it. Touched it. Bought it. Dang, it won. Well, for a couple of reasons. 1) I love matte shadows!!! 2) I love neutral shadows (compulsive E/S hoarder here) 3) I love UD 4) I had a 10% off voucher hahaha. SO YUP, here we are folks.


So as we all might know by now, this little baby from Urban Decay had five matte and one demi-matte shadow and they are all almost full size (1.3g/ 0.05 US oz.) (just like in its mummy & daddy NAKED 1/2). This palette has that NARS rubberized package feel but slightly less rubbery. Following the NAKED theme, its packaging is a light tan colour. Really nice.

As seen, the NAKED Basics, comapred to its mum and dad, is half the size with no frills. Just eyeshadows. Period. No applicator, nada, nothin'. Some may find it gd, others may find it inconvenient that there no room in the palette for a simple applicator. For good measure, I would say it is smaller than an iPhone 4S but bigger than a deck of playing cards.


with flash (L-R: Venus, Foxy, W.O.S, Naked 2, Faint, Crave)

without flash (L-R: Venus, Foxy, W.O.S, Naked 2, Faint, Crave)

E/S Shade Breakdown:
VENUS (NEW): slightly beigey-off white demi-matte. Has a frost-like sheen to it.

FOXY (Naked 2 Palette): Matte off-white yellow undertone 

W.O.S (WALK OF SHAME) (exclusive to the custom palette): Matte off-white with pink undertone

NAKED 2(NEW) : Matte Cool taupe with slight grey-ish lean (I believe MAC Omega is similar)

FAINT(NEW) :  Matte Dark-Med brown with a slight warm lean ( I believe MAC Charcoal Brown is similar)

CRAVE(NEW) : Matte Dark Black with brown undertones (Blackout from NAKED 2 palette had grey undertones). (However in this shadow, I can almost see veryyyy tinyyyy specks of microglitter, which probably wont show up all crazy on the eye so no worries for those who are concerned about it being 'glitter storm')

without flash: Top: (L-R): Venus, Foxy, W.O.S) Bottom: (L-R): Naked 2, Faint, Crave)

with flash Top: (L-R): Venus, Foxy, W.O.S) Bottom: (L-R): Naked 2, Faint, Crave)
As you can see from the swatch (sorry it wasnt better but I was in a lil rush). These swatches as per all others on my blog, are done without primer. Foxy hardly shows up on my NC20 skin but I actually quite like Fozy for a clean-wash lid colour. WOS too. I don't mind the two highlight shades but I do see what others are saying about it being unnescessary to have two matte highlight shades in this palette. Maybe one should have been Virgin (as in Naked 1) instead since that one is highly-adored. But then again, it probably will be compared to Venus. Venus is nice for a clean, polished lid shade or a good highlight. Naked 2 is nice and I like it quite abit. (I LOVE TRANSITION/CREASE BLENDING SHADES, LIKE REALLLLYY IN LOVE). Don't have anything like it so I have no complains about it. Faint impressed me the most as the shade of brown is dark-medium but somehow soft and not too harsh at the same time. Crave is another potential eyeliner colour, very nice. Overall, the shades are pretty buttery (im not sure if I initially said that they were chalky in the past post, maybe it was that much abused palette that I was swatching, I dont know.) and smooth. I can definitely see myself reaching out for this palette quite abit for everyday simple eye looks. Not too bad an investment. Good to travel with (potential makeup travel buddy over here). However, I would say you might not necessarily die without it, as like the name states they are pretty basic colours. Dupes from MAC are definitely possible but for the price point, it would be better to get this if you are just gonna dupe all the colours from MAC.

Verdict: Do I like it? : Not bad at all. Not bad. (I was mistaken)
Would I repurchase?: hmmm, honestly I am not too sure about this. I might but then again basic colours.
Grade: B+

How 'bout you lovelies? Any matte/ NAKED lovers? Tell me if you guys are/were having a mental battle about whether to get it too!!! Yay or nay lovelies? Yay or nay? ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment