Thursday 7 November 2013

REVIEW: Daiso Eyeshadow Palettes

Happy Thursday everyone!! It's Thursday already????! When did that even happen! I still feel like it's a Monday or Tuesday at most. Is it me or did the months of 2013 go by even faster than ever before? Crazy Ride everyone, crazy ride but anyway! Yay for putting up another review haha! Was cramming for a quiz for tomorrow but wanted to stretch my legs and do something a little different from my work today so hence what better way to do that than to type enjoyably about beauty? (IKR) Who's with me??!! *raises hands*awkward cricket chirp* ok moving on...

Haha just kidding folks, but anyway, I enjoy beauty, fashion and lifestyle and enjoy writing about them even more. As a self-proclaimed fanatic of all these things, I am always on the hunt for new prey MUAHAHA at any brand, any place and any time. This post in particular, beauty. Now I love my Sephora and Sasa [some of my second homes other than the supermarket] but Daiso is another place I like to pop into sometimes to hunt for interesting trinklets and bargains. Everything in this snazzy place is SGD$2! Cups, lunchboxes, food, tea bags, stationary and the list goes on....until it hits MAKEUP. Ok I know, I know, I can sense the horror in some when they hear abt the price of the makeup being $2. I don't blame them. We sometimes can't shake the perception of the dollar-to-quality correlation sometimes. Personally for me, I honestly am abit iffy about this when it comes to things I put on my face in terms of makeup and powder especially if I can't pull up many reviews about it on the Net. Personally for me, skincare and skin maintenance is an important aspect so I tend to be a little more careful about the foundations, powders, blush, etc that I buy for my sensitive skin but hey! I love my E.L.F etc too! Eyeshadows, however, I definitely don't entirely eat into that correlation. In my endeavor of trying eyeshadows after eyeshadows, mascara after mascara, eyeliners after eyeliners, I have definitely seen some bad boys from the least of expected places. Who says more inexpensive eyeshadows/ eyeliners/ primers can't get the job done? Nothing makes me feel more awesome beauty wise, when someone compliments my eye look and thinks that I'm adorning crazy expensive when I'm actually used a inexpensive but great quality product to feel like a million bucks! >:)

I always wanted to give Daiso makeup a whirl but somehow never got around to really stop at the makeup aisle to really go into full-on makeup junkie analysis mode like I always do at Sephora or drugstores. But that makeup junkie got activated when I saw Christine (Xteeener on Youtube) sporting some really nice Daiso makeup on her eyes, I knew I had to give them a try. So popped into Daiso and browsed the eyeshadows, hoping to find some that might peak my interest. Believe me I did. Daiso does carry not just one particualr brand of eyeshadow but rather, quite a few models and types. I did notice however, that most of them are with shimmer or glitter in them, varying in intensity and amount of shimmer and glitter though. [Although I did recently manage to pick up one that had some nice mattes in it and that was a rare find actually.] After debating amongst the interesting selection, I finally managed to force myself to only leave with two even though I had a good six of them at least in my hands lol. #achievementunlocked #didntgothatcrazy

Left: Twilight palette, Right: Bronze




Of course, I picked the neutrals to try first, seeing as I'm a neutral lover most of the time. So what better way to test the quality of the product? They came in a few types of colour schemes but I decided to get the two which I would see myself wearing the most in order to test the product fully [aka being able to wear them more frequently]. The palettes are nice and small in a good way with pans that are of decent size. The eyeshadows of these palettes have all shimmery/glittery finishes so for matte lovers.these may not be your cup of tea. However, Daiso does sometimes carry those with some matte eyeshadows in them, so do not fret! I actually really like the colour schemes of these palettes. I have quite a number of eyeshadow palettes big and small but not many of them are of these schemes so they are something a little different for me in a good way!

The Twilight Palette

The Twilight Palette

The Twilight palette [swatches without any primer]
First with the Twilight palette. Is it weird that I keep thinking of Bella and Edward for some strange reason? Ok, ok, focus lol. I was personally really surprised at how pigmented they were when I swatched them with my fingertips, as you can see from the photos. I didn't even have to use much force to swatch them either. Are they the smoothest eyeshadows I have ever come across? No. But are they smooth considering their price point? Yes. Out of the Twilight palette, I was really impressed especially by the warm brown and beautiful peach shades. Love the peach in the crease and the warmth of the brown just pulls the look together. The lighter shades are just lovely for the inner corners and lids to brighten up the look [although I tend to mix the peach and light champagne together for my lid shade]. As I mentioned earlier, these shades do have a little glitter in them, so fall out tends to be inevitable. However, they aren't crazy enough to where you look like a crazy disco ball either. Not too shabby, I must say!

The Bronze Palette

The Bronze Palette

The Bronze Palette [swatched without a primer]
The Bronze palette is something a little bit different for me as I don't own many palette that look like that. Sure, by themselves they don't look all that different from their counterparts but together they do look a little different in their own light. The white and golden bronze shades really blew me away. Look at how pigmented the white is in the photos! Very nice. White, in my opinion, is one of the hardest shades to get right in terms of pigmentation and colour pay-off. Thus, imagine my surprise to see it showing up so nicely on my fingers and lids. Bronze is one of my favourite eyeshadow shades. So GORGEOUS. The bronze in this palette is no different. Very nice pay-off and pretty smooth I must say. The eyeshadows can sometimes prove to be a little chalky but nothing that is unworkable or out of the ordinary. Again, these shades have a shimmer finish and has slightly less glitter in them than those of the Twilight palette. So still, do be mindful of that in terms of fall-out potential lol.

Now, longevity of these palette seems pretty nice and I had no problems with fading or smudging of these eyeshadows through the days which I wore them. I generally prefer mattes over shimmer/glitter so to bring the shimmer intensity down, I tend to use a fluffier brush with them and give a sweep over my lids. LOVE THE EFFECT for that these eyeshadows give me when I do this. Love the looks that these palettes can offer and kinda enjoying using them. What makes me even more excited is knowing the price point of these. YESSSSSS another gem found! However, I have to be mindful of the glitter fall out that happens when I don't tap off access pick-up. Overall, for $2, these are great. I definitely am going to be on a lookout for more palettes from Daiso! This just goes to show that you don't always have to make your wallet weep just to get quality out of your products [although the occasional splurge isn't all that bad either ;)]

Do I like them?: yea!
Would I repurchase them?: Maybe in other colours
Grade:: B+

What are some other inexpensive beauty gems would you guys recommend? ;)

Stay happy, healthy and always hunting [for random beauty gem] guys!


No comments:

Post a Comment