Monday 4 March 2013

REVIEW: Urban Decay: Disney's Oz The Great and Powerfu

Hello again my beauties! Hopefully you guys are as psyched as I am for Urban Decay's lastest limited edition palettes, inspired by Disney's Oz The Great And Powerful! Who says we cant be a good or bad witch whenever we desire? ;) The moment they launched in Sephora Singapore on the 28th of Feb, I went to snag these babies within the first hour! (10.40 AM to be exact lol). Talk about dedication LOL (crazy makeup junkie talking over here ;P ) Seeing as people might be tossing and turning wondering which witchy palette to grab up, I decided to place both palettes under the same review so that you guys can see all in one post and compare! :) So, who should we summon first? ;) Theodora? or Glinda? Hmmm...



Lets start with the light and on to the dark, shall we? lol

Helloooooo GLINDA~!!!

The Glinda Set

The Glinda Set

TORNADO: A shimmery deep purple with pinkish undertones

(DUOSHADE) AURA: Left: iridescent white w/blue duochrome Right: iridescent white w/ pinkduochrome

MAGIC: Pinkish purple with gold microshimmer

ILLUSION: Satin Pale Golden-Peach

(DUOSHADE) OZ: Left: Aged gold shimmer w/gold glitter Right: Bluish-grey silver shimmer w/silver glitter

South: Shimmery Taupe grey with slight warm lean and silver microglitter

The Glinda Palette
Glinda Super-Saturated Lip Pencil

(Without Flash) L-R: Tornado, Aura, Magic, Illusion, Oz, South, Rockstar (eyeliner), Glinda (Super saturated lip pencil)

(With Flash) L-R: Tornado, Aura, Magic, Illusion, Oz, South, Rockstar (eyeliner), Glinda (Super saturated lip pencil)
Isn's this all of the girly-princessy goodness?! Enchanting is what I would use to describe the theme of the Glinda Palette. As per Urban Decay's new formula for their eyeshadows, the texture of the shadows are buttery smooth. Although I did notice, for the duo shades they weren't the case. The duoshades are no doubt pigmented like the rest of the shadows, but they dont seem to be as smooth as the others. Nevertheless, they are great colours and nothing that can't be worked with. My favs would have to be Aura and Oz(despite it's crazy notorious UD glitter) as they seem more unique and different. The duochromes in Aura is just to die for and I can see why it is a much raved shade. Oz though the glitter, is nice as it reminds me of the fairy-tale-ish type of royal colours you might expect in films like Oz. As for the 24/7 eyeliner in Rockstar, no complains there. Creamy, purple goodness. Good that it is a purple and not another Zero. Great for that soft eyeliner or tiny pop of colour! The Glinda lippie is no doubt, a great beige-rose shade, great for a everyday lip for those who dont wear bold lips all the time. I do believe it is the shade NAKED in the permanent line though (I took out my naked lippie to compare). Since I love that shade, I definitely wont complain about this shade being in the Glinda set.

Now, "evil" comes and so does THEODORA!!

The Theodora Set
The Theodora Set


The Theodora Palette

BROKEN: Satin Pale Cream

BEWARE: Matte warm beige-brown

BEWITCH: Satin medium chocolate brown

WEST: Shimmery warm brown with slight burgundy undertone

(DUOSHADE) SPELL: Left: Satin charcoal black w/green and gold shimmer Right: Metallic gold w/tonal glitter

(DUOSHADE) JEALOUS: Left: Dark moss green pearl and pale green pearl (almost a light jade green)
Theodora Super Saturated Lip Pencil

(without Flash) L-R: Broken, Beware, Bewitch, West, Spell, Jealous, Zero (eyeliner), Theodora (lip)

(with Flash) L-R: Broken, Beware, Bewitch, West, Spell, Jealous, Zero (eyeliner), Theodora (lip)

Ahhh~~~ the beautiful sultriness of these shades. As you can see, th shades in the Theodora palette are largely browns and neutrals, which I love actually. (Hard-core neutral lover). When doing swatched, I was soooo amazed by how buttery the shadows were. Packed with pigment and smooth like velvet (especially the shade in Beware, which happens to be my fav neutral in this palette)! However, similarly to the Glinda palette, I did notice the Duoshades were not as smooth as the solo shades. (very strange) But again, nothing that cannot be worked with. My fav shades in this palette would have to be Beware and the gold in Spell. Very very veryyyyy nice. I rly so like the "darkness" of this palette. Plus the design of the metal palette itself is GORGEOUSSSSSSS. Nice that they threw in colours in this palette too though and they were colours that are nicely associated to the "dark" qualities!! <3 Again, we see another Zero, which I mean I generally dont complain for black eyeliners. I wished it was another shade though, like a rich bourbon brown maybe? The lippie, Theodora, is probably F-Bomb, another permanent one in the Super Saturated Lip Pencil line. Very very nice complexion boosting red that leaves a cherry red stain on your lips after the main lipstick had worn off. Plus it's sexy and shows off a girl's cheeky "dark" side. ;)

Okay, generally, loveeee these palettes. I think Urban Decay did a really good job this time with the themes and colours as well as the design of the palettes. It's USD49.00 on the UD website and SGD78.00 in Sephora Singapore, which is quite a steal for the number of products you get in the sets. (8 eyeshadow shades, the nicely LE designed BYOP palettes, a Super Saturated Lip Pencil). UD palettes are generally great in terms of value and I do recommend for you to try out at least one of these beautiful palettes if you are interested in this limited edition collection.

Here are a few things that are in the collection that are slightly different from the UD permanent BYOP line and the SS lip pencil line:

1) There's the little detail of the OZ collection on the eyeshadow labels and lipsticks! (nice attention to detail there UD!)
Yay to any disney icon LOL too bad we cannot spot the mickeys in this one! ;)

2) If you look closely, the colours of the eyeshadow cases are a beautiful dark "antique" gold colour, veryyy lovely! The permenant ones are silver in colour. This makes the palettes and the collection more exclusive in a subtle way! :)
Left: Oz collection shade Right: shade from the permenant line
Any more reasons to NOT get the palettes? Doubt so! ;) But for my taste, I generally can see myself reaching for Theodora more than Glinda as it suits me taste more with the neutral and browns but it is fun to have Glinda at hand to play ard with soft feminine looks. Plus, I do prefer the design of the Theodora Palatte more so than the Glinda one. If you are looking for a palette to potentially use more (esp. everyday neutral/brown looks), I would say to get the Theodora palette. However, if you are looking for something more girly and soft as well as a more unique palette, I would say Glinda would be for you. Or if you can and just cannot decide which witch you wanna be, get both! These palettes have been nothing short of impressive.

Verdict:

Would I repurchase (both)(if I could): Yes I would. (Some other ppl have even snagged up back ups of these!)
Grade: (both): A (UD has really impressed me overall with these palettes!)

So my lovely witches, which side are you on? ;) Being cheekily dark, or innocently ethereal?






No comments:

Post a Comment