Thursday 7 February 2013

REVIEW: Too Faced Matte Eye Kit

Hello again! Today we have another lovely all-matte eyeshadow kit! Who doesnt love matte eyeshadows?!?! *chirp chirp* haha Well im crazy over them. They are always good for creating impactful but understated looks. Clean, simple awesome (even the coloured mattes are sooo beautiful). Imo, matte shadows are the hardest to create in terms of pigmentation, chalkiness and bleandability. That makes it even better when you find a good matte eyeshadow! (double the thrill haha). Finding an all-matte eyeshadow palette isnt easy either and not alot of brands put out great matte eyeshadow palettes that deliver consistent quality throughout their shadows. So, today's star is the Too Faced Matte Eye Kit. Too-Faced is notorious alongside with another brand (Urban Decay *cough cough*) for their crazy obssession with loading buckets-full worth of glitter and sparkles in quite a number of eyeshadows. So, it was naturally intriguing to me when Too-Faced added an all-matte eyeshadow palette to their oh-so-famous kits.



As per Too-Faced eyeshadow kit format, The Matte Eye Kit comes with three easy-to-follow cards for a Day, Classic and Fashion look. Very nice for those who feel overwhelmed when they have a ton of colours to work with in a palette. Also, of course, are the nine beautiful matte eyeshadows~~~ (no spongetip/brush applicators whatsoever). Needless to say, the packaging is always so pretty~~~ hahaha (packaging sucker over here)

Without Flash

With Flash

So here we go with the shade breakdowns (all if which are matte):
Day: 1) Tufted Suede: Light tan meant for highlight (although those with rly fair skin, this might not work as a highlight for you) (this doesnt rly show on my NW/NC20 skin though)
         2) Chincilla: A medium tan taupe (great for a transition shade/ in the crease)
         3) Coffee Bean: A dark warm-neutral brown (great for defining/eyeliner)

Classic: 1) Velveteen Bunny: slight off white (love the name!! not chalky. not bad for a white e/s)
              2) Pebbles: cool grey (like pebbles~ haha)
              3) London Fog: dark navy blue (sounds so poetic for some reason ;D)

Fashion:  1) Fresh Linen: light pale pink (great for 'lifting' the brow)
                 2) Vintage Violet: medium dusky purple-violet (prob my favourite shade from this palette, the 'duskiness' is soooo pretty!)
                 3) Midnight: dark grey-black (more on the greyish side)
without flash: (L-R: Tufted Suede, Chinchilla, Coffee Bean, Velveteen Bunny, Pebbles, London Fog, Fresh Linen, Vintage Violet, Midnight)

With Flash: (L-R: Tufted Suede, Chinchilla, Coffee Bean, Velveteen Bunny, Pebbles, London Fog, Fresh Linen, Vintage Violet, Midnight)


The shadows over all are pretty great I say! Not overly chalky and blends pretty well! Also, the colour combinations (although you dont have to rigidly stick to the three categories they did) are rly nice! Nice sophisticated looks with pops of colours while not looking too over the top and as though you were going to a 1970s nightclub/disco. I can see any woman wearing this to work with a chic and classy attire. In terms of pigmentation, they are decently nice as you can see from the swatch and are definitely buildable. I didnt experience any fallout while using this kit so that's a plus imo! They are pretty smooth and easy to work with imo and I do like the overall quality of the palette. If you are not a matte eyeshadow lover, then obviously I wouldnt say this is for you. BUT if you are a matte E/S junkie like me (WHEEEE) then go ahead and check it out!

Overall, pretty impressed! Love how Too-Faced included nice and classy colours such as a beautiful dusky violet and navy blue, a great alternative to neutrals when you want to do something a little more special. As much as I like this kit, I still find myself using my Meet Matte Palette from the Balm more for some reason. Probably just due to my laziness to reach for this one which is further away from me when I do my makeup haha. Nonetheless, both of these palettes are amazing and I definitely will get much use from these two matte palettes.

Verdict: Do I like it? Yes I do indeed
Would I repurchase?: For the fact that it is all matte, yes. But since it is not an all neutral palette, I dont know if I would repurchase it due to the frequency-of-use factor
Grade: B+

Are there any other all matte palettes that you are in love with? TELL ME!!!! XD I would definitely love to know!!! Matt(er)s Unite! haha (cheesy me)







No comments:

Post a Comment